Hey Porter

|

Did anyone realize that Porter Wagoner died over the weekend. Im sure not everyone who reads here is a country music fan so you may not known. I wouldn't be surprised if anyone knew really cause I didn't see it anywhere on tv and just a little story about it on the internet. To me thats sad the guy was 80 years old and spent 60 plus years making great country music and I didn't hear one word on CMT about it. Maybe the did mention it but I didn't see it. CMT'S to busy kissing Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw and Faith Hills asses to notice when a real country star dies. Another thing pisses me off is I was reading he wasn't inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame until 2002 to me thats bullshit to wait till the man is 75 to do that. Anyway he had put out a new cd of all new songs just this year and was on tour promoting it when he found out he had lung cancer and passed away.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Porter Wagoner real well. I enjoyed hearing him sing the old song: What is to be will, what ain't to be might just happen. Porter took little buck toothed flat chested Dolly Parton and made her a Superstar.

Monogram Queen said...

Yep I like him and also Charlie Rich (the white fox) and Charley Pride, Johnny Cash, George Jones, I could go on and on (but I won't) RIP Porter

jimm said...

we all know all those old guys are the real 'country.' it's allus great when they get together to jam.

Anonymous said...

I'm back I just found out that Polt's daddy died. Polt comments a lot on these blogs and he is a sweet man. Please wish him all the best and condolences for his family and all.

Uncle Gerry said...

I remember when I was a child (way before your time!) Porter had a chow on every Saturday night on local channel 11 right before the Grand Ole Opry...he was one of my Dad's favorites along with the original Hank Williams...it's been a while, but I still remmeber him, may he RIP.

CreamedHoney said...

The Louisville Courier Journal did a huge article on the front page of their features section today entitled "Country Icon Was King of Opryland" and they talked about him on NPR.

Anonymous said...

God love Marty Stuart for helping Porter make his "comeback" album. Porter was one of the greats, and we'll miss him.

Thanks for noting it, Mike.

Chuck said...

Oh, thanks for the pictures. In my head, I had Little Jimmy Dickens, not Mr. Wagoner.

I love this thread... Charley Pride, JC, George Jones, Marty Stuart(!)... And yeah, I like the old country too... Eddie Rabbitt, Ronnie Milsap, man. Do you have that show "Country Gold" on Saturday nights in your area? I used to before I move, now I miss it so desperately.